ESSP, a private company with 7 major European Air Navigation Service Providers as shareholders, manages the operation and supports the adoption of the European Satellite Based Augmentation System to GPS: EGNOS.
The adoption of this service is rapidly growing given it allows correcting the GPS signal and offers enhanced features with accurate positioning and integrity within safety-of-life services context such as public transportation.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Operation of Mission Performance Tools to execute data processing with the aim of predicting, monitoring, doing a first analysis and reporting EGNOS Mission performance. Support to activities related to understand and mitigate the effect of space Weather events in EGNOS performance.
Mission Performance & Space Weather Engineer’s main responsibilities:
- Operate the Mission Performance tools and perform the required activities in order to guarantee the processing of EGNOS data and the monitoring of EGNOS performance.
- First identification, assessment and notification of performance anomalies.
- Participation in daily Service & Performance Monitoring Board (SPMB)
- Preparation of routine performance report such as the monthly public report.
- Preparation of ad-hoc performance reports which are based mainly in direct outputs of Mission performance tools.
- Carry out the required activities to guarantee the support of the main EGNOS operations through the monitoring of the mission performance, namely during system deployments.
- Make the necessary analysis using the appropriate tools (mainly simulators) to assess the impact of planned and unplanned operations tasks in the mission performance and report it through the specified means (reports, website etc.).
- Feed the User Support Website with the required performance data and Execute backup of data.
- Collect space weather users’ requirements for the specification of the space weather impact on aerospace systems.
- Design of EGNOS mitigation procedures (e.g. warning systems) to reduce space weather impacts in EGNOS users.
- Perform a set of tests targeting space weather warning systems from the user’s point of view.
- Trace ionospheric disturbances into macro models to feed an experimental software to simulate EGNOS performance and generate EGNOS performance forecasts.
- Characterize space weather events in terms of measurements and parameters.
- Assess the traceability between EGNOS performance and space weather events and define how to include this information in the daily identification, assessment and notification of performance anomalies.
Supports the Service Development Manager in the use of the SoL service in multimodal applications, and provides support to its use in any other domain as well.
- Participates to key supporting cells/standardization bodies (workshops, taskforces, etc.) within the relevant organizations.
- Interfaces with key multimodal sector stakeholders
- Contributes to the definition of the required EGNOS Service Provision framework in these multimodal domains.
- Contributes to the definition and potential negotiation/signature of EGNOS Working Agreements or similar arrangements with the required stakeholders in these domains.
- Supports the implementation of an open and transparent service provision in aviation.
- Supports the definition and maintenance of the corresponding Working Agreements templates in any SoL application domain.
- Provides supports to promotion events on EGNOS applications for the multimodal applications.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Good analysis and investigation skills
- Good English level (B1-B2) – CECRL
- Anticipation and adaptability
- Team spirit and cooperation
- A very good capacity of analysis and synthesis
- Analyze, synthesize and format information from the measurement systems to deliver usable results
Available for regular travels, especially in Europe
Minimum 2 years of experience in satellite navigation (GNSS) and 1 year of experience in a field relevant to EGNOS Performance is an asset.
Engineering degree or equivalent
Temporary contract (Approx. 30 months)
Job Type: Contract
- EGNOS Performance: 1 year
- satellite navigation (GNSS): 2 years